Are you "Ready to Ride?"
In the month of September our bus routes travelled approximately 6677 kms per day giving us rough total of 113, 5009 kms travelled for the month of September alone.
Horizon School Division No. 67 will be recognizing next week as school bus safety week. This year we have added even more activities to the agenda.
Activities for the week/month include:
School Bus Safety Presentations
- Presentations will occur this year at 5 of our schools (within different geographic areas).
- In total 713 students (within 5 schools –grades K-5) will participate in interactive assembly-style presentations that cover a wide range of bus safety topics.
Bus Evacuation Drills
- Evacuation Drills will take place at each of our schools and bus loops.
- We are anticipating that 1768 will have the opportunity to take part in a bus evacuation drill which will prepare students and teach them what to do in the event of an emergency.
- Because of the large scale of this activity, evacuation drills are set to run throughout the month of October.
Driver Safety Meetings
- Drivers participated in First Student’s regularly scheduled safety meetings.
- In these meetings our Family School Liaison Counsellors shared information regarding Threat Assessments and protocols and Dealing with At Risk Students.
School Bus Safety Poster Contest
- Students will have the opportunity to participate in a school bus safety poster contest that is held by the Alberta Student Transportation Advisory Council (ASTAC)
- The provincial contest is for grades K-6 and this year’s theme is “Ready to Ride”
- This year’s topic is get kids thinking about what it means to be ready to ride – appropriate clothing, arriving at the bus stop early, etc.