Horizon School Division No. 67 is pleased to announce the appointment of Ms. Shea Mellow as the division’s Instructional Coach for the 2019-2020 school year. Currently a middle school teacher at Barnwell School, Shea has classroom experience in Grades 1 through 9.
Shea will have these key responsibilities in 2019-2020:
- Support classroom teachers with implementing Horizon’s Instructional Model, effective assessment practice and new curriculum
- Support use of relevant technology tools to maximize instruction and assessment tasks at the teacher level
- Consult with and support K-4 teachers in the work underway to create cross-curricular and concept-based lessons/unit
- Introduce new curriculum and concept-based lessons/units in working with Grade 5-9 teachers
- Provide school staff presentations to help school leaders implement school plans as needed
- Participate as a member of the Learner Services team in meetings, professional learning and events
Ms Mellow has an excellent record of relationships with students, staff and the community as well as for high-quality classroom instruction. Shea says, “I genuinely look forward to this opportunity to collaboratively work with colleagues throughout Horizon as recent developments in curriculum and instruction allow for new, exciting avenues for increased engagement within our classrooms. I believe in the capacity of conceptual learning to truly benefit our students and I am eager to support teachers by developing resources, offering context, and exploring the exciting possibilities as we best plan with our new curriculum.”
We welcome Shea to this position and look forward to the support she will extend to all schools in the coming school year.