Parent Resources (recommended):
Adlit - resources for parents and educators of kids in Grades 4-12.
- LDOnline - offering links to more information about parenting a child with ADD/ADHD.
Check out Chinook Arch Regional Library or your favourite bookstore for the following resources:
- All About Attention Deficit Disorder by Thomas W. Phelan PhD c2000 Child Management Inc. (Book or DVD) ISBN:1889140112
- Cory Stories: A Kid's Book About Living with ADHD by Jeanne Kraus c2000 Magination Press ISBN:9781591471547
- ABC's for Success: Attention Deficit Disorders by Dwaine M. Souveny & Dianne L.Souveny c1996 (reprinted 2003) Dynamic Networks Publication ISBN:0968044409
- Scattered Minds: A New Look at the Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder by Gabor Mate' c1999 Vintage Canada ISBN:0676971458
- Autism Awareness Centre Bookstore - search books/products by categories: alphabetically, new titles, Asperger Syndrome, Assessment, Autism, Behaviour, Children's Books, Communication, Education/Classroom, Girl's Only, Life Skills, Livres en Français, Marriage and Relationships, Multimedia, Other Disabilities, Parenting and Family, Playskills, Sensory Integration, Social Skills, Therapies, Time Timers, Toys, Autism Awareness Centre Confrences.
- The Special-Needs Collection, Children with Autism, A Parent's Guide, Edited by Michael D. Powers, Psy.D., Foreword by Beverly Sills Greenough c1989. ISBN:1890627046
- Autism Internet Modules - a way to provide parents and professionals with the up-to-date information they need to help individuals with ASD achieve their highest potential.
- The National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorders is a multi-university center to promote the use of evidence-based practice for children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders.
- Search engine - links to resources.
- Tin Snips is a special education resource that strives to share a variety of specialized teaching tools, techniques, worksheets, and activities with teachers of students who have autistic spectrum disorders and related developmental disabilities. Many of these activities may be appropriate for Pre-K and Kindergarten children.
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES FOR SPECIAL NEEDS:
- Do2Learn - The mission of Do2learn is to use technology and the web to provide special learning resources for individuals with disabilities.
- MakeBeliefsComix is for people of all ages who like to play and explore...a safe place where you feel empowered to create and to test new ideas and ways to communicate through art and writing.
- Reading list for parents - Prepared by Barbara Brydges, Librarian, Centre for Gifted Education, University of Calgary, November 25, 2003
GOVERNMENT OF ALBERTA: EDUCATION - Parents
- Programs and Services - offering links to Role of Parents, Our Education System, Early Childhood Services, School Choice, Resource for Parents, Additional Programs and Services.
- Setting the Direction for Special Education in Alberta is an initiative of Alberta Education. The project creates a new special education framework that includes vision, principles, policy, accountability and funding.
- Alberta Learning and Information Service - Students with Disabilities - great resources for students with disabilities, their parents, educators and other professionals.
- LDOnline - offering links to more information about parenting a child with learning disabilities.
POSITIVE BEHAVIOUR SUPPORTS for CHILDREN:
This is a series of three, related websites developed for use by families, aides and school staff supporting children with disabilities.
These interactive websites provide evidence-based strategies for promoting adaptive behaviour, while managing challenging behaviours.
There are additional topics of interest in each site, so feel free to look through all of them. These websites are free, and anyone who is
interested in gaining a better understanding of how to support a child with a disability is encouraged to use them.
- Reading Rockets: Reading Comprehension & Language Arts Teaching Strategies for kids.